San Miguel de Allende, Mexico is a paradise for artists and art lovers. But now the three boutique hotels that created the annual SMART festival in this colonial city are raising the bar even higher.
Between May 29 and June 1, 2014, Hotel Matilda, Dos Casas and L’Otel will bring internationally known street artists to this year’s festival who will literally “paint the town” with colorful murals and scenes on the roofs of San Miguel.
The street artists include Australian Anthony Lister, Brazilian Eduardo Kobra) and Australian Rone; the exhibits will be curated Julia Riley O’Sullivan, a noted street art curator whose credits include Street Art Miami Art Basel and Street Art Exhibit Armory Show New York.
“SMART is growing in size and scope every year, drawing art and culture aficionados from throughout Mexico and several countries to participate in an exotic mix of experiences,” says Hotel Matilda Director Bruce James. “It’s a dynamic, high-energy scene that is unlike anything else in Old World San Miguel de Allende.” Four of Mexico City’s leading galleries will also feature their top contemporary artists in showings at the three hotels.
A highlight of SMART will be the all-night dance party at Hotel Matilda, on Saturday, May 31, orchestrated by an internationally renowned DJ spinning exotic and sensual sounds. Casa Dragones Tequila will host a degustation and tequila tasting (by invitation only) at La Casa Dragones, the majestic original 17th-century stables of the legendary Dragones cavalry of San Miguel de Allende.
IF YOU GO
Each of the hotels has put together a two-night package that combines a guest room with all the SMART events and activities. The packages start at US $350 per night for two and include:
- Entrance to an art exhibit, including a cocktail party or brunch, at each of the three hotels
- DJ Dance Party at Hotel Matilda
- Cocktail party and private showing at the house of local art collector
- Degustation and tequila tasting at Casa Dragones
For more information about the SMART packages, contact:
- Hotel Matilda: Direct-dial +52 (415) 152-1015; toll-free in the U.S. 855-MATILDA (855-628-4532), or [email protected].
- Dos Casas: Direct dial +52 (415) 154-4958 or (415) 152-0941, or [email protected].
- L’Otel: Direct dial +52 (415) 154-9850, in the U.S. 210-745-1457.
Also on More Time To Travel: Hotel Matilda: Modern Luxury in the Heart of San Francisco