On Saturday, September 29, 2012, more than 1500 museums nationwide will be participating in Museum Day Live! 2012, which is sponsored by Smithsonian Magazine. On this day, you can visit one of the participating Smithsonian museums or affiliates in your local area for free, by signing up for advance tickets on the Smithsonian website. The free offer is limited to two individuals per household.
You can search the list of participating museums by venue and location here. You may want to share this information with your family and friends.
If you aren’t able to take advantage of this offer, you may want to expand your world by visiting one of the Smithsonian museums, which are free every day of the year, including Museum Day Live! 2012. These include:
- Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, DC
- Smithsonian Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Washington, DC
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, the George Gustav Heye Center, New York, NY
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, Washington, DC
- Smithsonian National Zoological Park, Washington, DC
[Read my article on the NBC Universal website Life Goes Strong for tips on finding free museums near your home throughout the year.]